Post-Active Duty Student Deferment
This deferment is for borrowers who were enrolled in school or within six months of leaving school when called into military service and have completed their military service.
You can receive this deferment for up to 13 months after you complete your military service or until you enroll in school on at least a half-time basis.
How to Qualify
You can qualify if you were called to active duty and ALL of the following apply.
- You are a member of the National Guard or Armed Forces Reserve including a member in retired status when activated.
- Your service includes a period on or after October 1, 2007.
- You were enrolled in a qualifying school on at least a half-time basis at the time of, or within six months prior to being called or ordered to active service.
How to Apply
- Download the Post-Active Duty Student Deferment Request.
Complete and return the form and make sure to include the required documentation. You can include documentation in one of two ways.
- Send a copy of your military orders or written statement from your commanding or personnel officer; or
- Have your commanding or personnel officer certify your military service using section 4 of the deferment form.